Sunday, July 10, 2011

Entertainment Recommendations

Looking for entertainment? Well, if you didn't read the title, you'll never guess that I have recommendations!

The King's Speech
Set in the early 1900's, The King's Speech tells the tale King George VI, King George the Stammerer, as he calls himself. The movie implements its soundtrack of classical music very well. I'm no expert on movie soundtracks. I usually don't even notice, but it seems movies often hit one extreme -- the orchestral scores that blend too well into the movie -- or the other extreme -- the latest pop hits I notice a little too much. In this movie, the music seems just right. I notice it, but it doesn't detract from what I'm looking at. I'd even listen to it separately. It sets the mood so well that The King's Speech is probably the first non-musical for which I've noted the music in a review. But what about the true meat of the movie? Its story and characters? The plot is well-paced and takes one through the characters' various triumphs and setbacks. It's sweet, gentle, funny, even more so because it's not trying HARD to be. The actors play the characters very naturally. I like all three leads and feel what they feel, from when Bertie gives his first stuttering speech to when he declares "I have a voice!" Not to sound cheesy, but the movie has an uplifting message too. "Those poor boys had cried out in fear and no one was listening. My job was to give them faith in their own voice," Lionel states. Even if you're not a king, you have a voice. So, watch the movie, or if you have already, tell me what you think. (I have no idea why it's rated R, except perhaps because of one scene where Bertie belts out swear words, but that was done in the least offensive way possible, as he doesn't direct them at anyone.)



The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
It's a children's book about a girl named September at odds with Fairyland's evil ruler A.K.A. the Marquess, but it's creative, heartfelt, AND smart. Can't you just tell from the title? I liked September and all her friends and some of her enemies. They're all interesting characters, and through them, the book presents many truths about wishes and secrets and courage and cities made of cloth. Like I said, creative, heartfelt, smart.


Edward Scissorhands
High on a hill, a kindly inventor dies before he can finish his creation, Edward, who is left with scissors for hands. Avon Lady Peg Boggs finds Edward and brings him to live with her family in the suburbs. How will Edward fit in, and will he make the football team? Just kidding about the football team. I think the fanbase for Edward Scissorhands has actually grown since 1990, but I don't think a ton of kids today have seen it, and people I know avoid the movie because everyone says Tim Burton only makes scary movies. I've only seen one scary movie by Tim Burton (Sweeney Todd, which I saw 10 minutes of before I ran away), and Edward Scissorhands is mild for any film. The first half is mostly sweet, and the second half is mostly sad, but it's never very scary. It has a lot of heart and kindness embedded in its tone and outlook. I love the characters, mostly Edward and Peg, because of who they are, but also because the actors portray them so splendidly. Here, I'll show a 10 minute clip (ignore the Hebrew subtitles), and you just watch their facial expressions and vocal intonations. So cute! Makes me want to say "Blend and blend and blend." and "Darn this stuff!" all day. And the way Peg goodnaturedly laughs at her ditzy neighbor's stupidity. She's so tolerant of idiots. Wish I was that tolerant. (I've decided I should give you warnings too. The movie contains some violence near the end with a minimal amount of blood and graphic-ness. It contains an unkind and superstitious religious person, prompting the eternal question whether the movie's creators were painting a portrait of all religious people or just that one.)



So don't avoid this movie. See it! Love it!

I want this shirt. Frankenstein Edward is so much gentler and more lovable than vampire Edward.


And a video of a cat hugging her baby
Awwwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment